If you cannot avoid to light a firecracker to welcome the new year, please take note of the following safety rules from health experts.
- Do not hold firecrackers while lighting them. Use the lighted end of a stick instead.
- Do not light more than one device at a time.
- Do no alter fireworks in a any way.
- Do not pick up or relight firecrackers that fail to ignite. Pour water or tear any device properly.
- Do not bend directly over pyrotechnic device like fountains and crying cows while lighting them.
- Do not use fireworks indoors.
- Do not use fireworks near flammable substances/materials.
- Do not allow small children to handle fireworks.
- Do not light and throw pyrotechnics in the direction of people, passing vehicles or combustible objects.
- Do not use calcium carbride (kalburo) or other combustible liquids in firing toy cannons.
- Do not use firecrackers when under the influence of liquor or alcohol.
- Do not light firecrackers under containers which will tend to explode and produce splinters or shrapnel.
- Do not light “kwitis”, “trompillo” and others alike under electric wires.
- Do not delay to seek medical help as soon as possible in case of firecrackers injury.
Tips on the proper handling/disposal of firecrackers and pyrotechnics devices that failed to explode or ignite:
- All lighted firecrackers or pyrotechnic devices but failed to explode or ignite must be gathered carefully by using stick broom with a dustpan and place inside a designated garbage drum or trash can.
- A designated drum or trash can will be used solely for unexploded firecrackers or unignited pyrotechnic devices and related debris. It must be secured until turned over/collected by area garbage collectors.
- Gathered or collected unexploded firecrackers, unignited pyrotechnic devices and related debris shall be disposed by means of burning at designated safe area free from dried grasses, flammable materials and away from populated areas.
Let’s welcome 2014 without injury. Please be safe everyone.
Image credit: Papaija2008 – FreeDigitalPhotos.net