My husband gave up smoking more than 10 years ago. He chose to live a healthy lifestyle than be burdened with sickness caused by smoking. What did my husband do to ride out cigarette and cigar cravings? He turns to sports. He is thankful that he has supportive friends who play the type of sport that he plays. Hubby and his friends would go out every weekend to play golf or lawn tennis. Hubby is also into biking. Apart from personal health, he quit smoking because he was concerned about our first child and our then unborn baby to suffer from second hand smoke. We would not want to raise sickly babies due to our own doing.
Aedes aegypti or tiger mosquito â€“ low-flying, day-biting, lurks in dark places of the house, lays eggs on clean and stagnant water
The D.E.N.G.U.E. Strategy
D â€“ daily monitoring of patientâ€™s status
E â€“ encourage intake of oral fluids like oresol, water, juices, etc,
N â€“ note any dengue warning signs like persistent vomiting and bleeding,
G â€“ give paracetamol for fever and NOT aspirin, because aspirin induces bleeding,
U â€“ use mosquito nets and
E â€“ early consultation is advised for any warning signs
From DOH website:
DENGUE HEMORRHAGIC FEVER is an acute infectious disease manifested initially with fever.
Aedes aegypti, the transmitter of the disease, is a day-biting mosquito which lays eggs in clear and stagnant water found in flower vases, cans, rain barrels, old rubber tires, etc. The adult mosquitoes rest in dark places of the house.
Signs and Symptoms
- Sudden onset of high fever which may last 2 to 7 days.
- Joint & muscle pain and pain behind the eyes.
- Skin rashes – maculopapular rash or red tiny spots on the skin called petechiae
- Nosebleeding when fever starts to subside
- Abdominal pain
- Vomiting of coffee-colored matter
- Dark-colored stools
- Cover water drums and water pails at all times to prevent mosquitoes from breeding.
- Replace water in flower vases once a week.
- Clean all water containers once a week. Scrub the sides well to remove eggs of mosquitoes sticking to the sides.
- Clean gutters of leaves and debris so that rain water will not collect as breeding places of mosquitoes.
- Old tires used as roof support should be punctured or cut to avoid accumulation of water.
- Collect and dispose all unusable tin cans, jars, bottles and other items that can collect and hold water.
A vaccine said to prevent or cure the four strains of dengue is currently being tested in pilot areas in Laguna and Cebu. The vaccine will be available in 2014.
Hubby is fine now. The results of his blood test, kidney and gall bladder ultrasound were all normal. He needs a follow-up check up though for his blood pressure and maintenance medicine…I’m glad that he is okay now. 🙂